Job Title: Professor
Employer: Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
Place of Birth: Hong Kong
Further Education: University of Manitoba (B.Sc., M.Sc. - Zoology), University of Alberta (Ph.D. - Zoology).
Geographic focus of research: Alberta, also collaborations with colleagues in BC, Ontario, Hong Kong, Argentina, and Mexico.
Brief synopsis of current research:
1) Neuroendocrine regulation of pituitary gonadotropin and growth hormone release in goldfish using primary cultures of dispersed pituitary cells - Influences of hypothalamic neuropeptides, neurotransmitters and direct actions of gonadal steroids.
2) Intracellular signalling pathways mediating and integrating neuroendocrine control of pituitary cell hormone secretion.
3) Agonist and functional specificity of spatiotemporal calcium changes in mediating cell functions (basal release, stimulated release, hormone content, mRNA expression).
4) Interactions of intracellular signalling cascades in regulation of secretory and other cell functions.
5) Comparisons of bioactivity of novel fish GnRH isoforms.
Department of Biological Sciences, CW 405 Biol. Sci. Bldg., University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2E9.
Chang, J.P., Johnson, J.D., Van Goor, F., Wong, C.J.H., Yunker, W.K., Uretsky, A.D., Taylor, D., Jobin R.M., Wong, A.O.L., and Goldberg, J.I. Signal transduction mechanisms mediating secretion in goldfish gonadotropes and somatotropes. (Accepted pending final revisions in Biochemistry and Cell Biology, January 4, 2000; 37 ms pages; 6 figures.)
Yunker, W.K., Lee, E.K.Y., Wong A.O.L., and Chang, J.P. Norepinephrine regulation of growth hormone release from goldfish pituitary cells. II. Intracellular sites of action. J. Neuroendocrinol. (27 ms pages, 8 figures; accepted Oct 4, 1999; 11 journal pages).
Johnson, J.D., Van Goor, F., Wong C.J.H., Goldberg, J.I., and Chang, J.P. 1999. Two endogenous gonadotropin-releasing hormones generate dissimilar Ca2+ signals in identified goldfish gonadotropes. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 116: 178-191.
Van Goor, F., Goldberg, J.I., and Chang, J.P. 1998. Dopamine-D2 actions on voltage-dependent calcium current and gonadotropin-II secretion in cultured goldfish gonadotrophs. Journal of Neuroendocrinology 10, 175-186.
Lo, A. and Chang, J.P. 1998. In vitro action of testosterone in potentiating gonadotropin-releasing hormone-stimulated gonadotropin-II secretion in goldfish pituitary cells: Involvement of protein kinase C, calcium and testosterone metabolites. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 111, 318-333.